A five-year-old Australian boy had to be rescued by his grandfather after being dragged into a swimming pool by a 3m long python.
It was only his family’s quick reaction that saved Beau Blake’s life.
The boy was walking by the swimming pool at his family’s home near Byron Bay in New South Wales when the snake “suddenly” emerged from some bushes and latched onto his ankle.
The python quickly wrapped itself around Beau as the two tumbled into the water. “I had just started relaxing on the lounger, I had just started enjoying a can (a can of beer) and all of a sudden it was on,” the boy’s father, Ben Blake, told NBN News.
“Beau was just walking around the edge (of the pool). I think the python was sitting there waiting for a victim to come, a bird or something, and Beau was.
“I saw a big black shadow come out of the bush and before they hit bottom, it was completely wrapped around his leg.”
“Before it even hit the bottom of the pool it was completely wrapped around my leg,” she said.
The boy’s grandfather, 76-year-old Alan Blake, immediately jumped into the pool, grabbed his grandson and the snake, still entangled, and handed them to Ben.
“I looked in and there was that thing around his legs so I jumped in to grab it,” Alan said.
Ben grabbed the python by the neck, squeezed it tightly and was able to detach it from his son in about 20 seconds.
Beau was taken to a local hospital where doctors cleaned the puncture wounds left by the python.
“He’s an absolute soldier, once we cleaned up the blood and told him he wasn’t going to die because it wasn’t a venomous snake, he was pretty good,” Ben said.
After the attack he released the python into the bushes. “We used to check for spiders around the pool, but now we’re going to look for snakes,” Ben said. “If I hadn’t been so close he would have been underwater and who knows what would have happened.”
Living with snakes used to be a given in northern New South Wales, he said. “Aw look, that’s where we live, that’s Australia.”
The snake may have been a carpet python, commonly found in subtropical parts of Australia. The species feeds mainly on frogs, reptiles, birds and small mammals. They grow to an average length of about 7 feet but can reach 14 feet in length.
Last month, an Indonesian woman was eaten alive by a huge python after venturing into the jungle to collect rubber.
Horrified locals managed to capture the 22-foot-long snake and open it: inside, they found the undigested remains of their 54-year-old grandmother.