Matt Hancock was suspended from the Conservative Party after joining “I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out Of Here!”.
The former health secretary is expected to take part in this year’s series of the ITV show as one of two latecomers, after the top 10 celebrities entered the Australian jungle camp on Sunday (06.11.22), but lost the title as a result. whip of relationships that will appear in Down Under.
Simon Hart, the head of the whip, said: “Following a conversation with Matt Hancock, I have considered the situation and believe this is serious enough to warrant discontinuing the whip with immediate effect.”
However, West Suffolk MP Matt is not expected to serve in the cabinet again and is said to see the show as an “incredible opportunity”.
A political ally close to Matt told The Sun newspaper: “‘I’m A Celeb’ is the most watched show on TV. Matt doesn’t expect to serve in government again, so it’s an incredible opportunity for him to get involved. with the 12 million Brits tuning in every single night.
“Matt has always believed in direct communication with the people he represents, whether it’s going out and hitting the streets in West Suffolk, through all kinds of media or through those press conferences.
“There are many ways to do the job of an MP. Whether he’s on the pitch for a day or three weeks, there are very few places where people will be able to see a politician for who he really is.
“Where better to show the human side of those who make these decisions than with the most watched program on TV?” Politicians like Matt need to go where the people are, especially those who are politically disengaged.
“Matt is of the opinion that we need to embrace popular culture. Rather than look down on reality TV, we should see it for what it is: a powerful tool for getting our message across to younger generations.”
A Downing Street spokesperson said: “The prime minister believes that at a difficult time for the country, parliamentarians should work hard for their constituents, both in the House and in their constituencies.”
44-year-old politician and comedian Seann Walsh is expected to enter the field when the series is already underway.
A TV insider told the publication, “Matt is a sensational signing for the show as producers love a star with a story to tell and always hope they’ll pour the beans around the fire.”
Matt – who is said to have recently been contacted to appear in the upcoming series of “Celebrity SAS: Who Dares Wins” – was previously targeted after being caught kissing his sidekick Gina Coladangelo during the COVID-19 pandemic. when the social distancing guide was in place.
Matt and Seann will join pop icon Boy George, “Coronation Street” star Sue Cleaver, “Hollyoaks” actor Owen Warner, former English rugby player Mike Tindall, radio presenter Chris Moyles, lioness British Jill Scott, comedian Babatunde Aleshe, former “Love Island” star Olivia Attwood and TV presenters Charlene White and Scarlette Douglas at the camp.