Man City secures first place in the group despite being held by Borussia Dortmund

Manchester City secured first place in Group E after a largely uneventful 0-0 win against Borussia Dortmund at Signal Iduna Park.

City came closer to breaking the deadlock when Riyad Mahrez’s penalty was saved in the second half and they remained undefeated and are confident of first place with a match to play.

The point was also enough for Dortmund, intent on keeping a clean sheet after winning in the first half, and also for them a guaranteed place in the second round.

Guardiola handed goalkeeper Stefan Ortega his club debut and English defender John Stones returned to the pitch for the first time in seven games after recovering from a hamstring injury.

Nathan Ake, Ilkay Gundogan, Julian Alvarez and Phil Foden have also returned to the starting lineup, while Ederson, Kevin de Bruyne, Jack Grealish, Bernardo Silva, Manuel Akanji and Aymeric Laporte have all been retired.

With City already secured of their place in the knockout stage and a good enough point to get Dortmund through, the opening exchanges didn’t have a real pace.

City goalkeeper Ortega made his first leg save in the 16th minute when Karim Adeyemi stood wide to run for goal.

Erling Haaland was banned from his former club before retiring at half-time (Tim Goode / PA)

Adeyemi was again instrumental as Dortmund began to stretch the four City defenders, first spotting Giovanni Reyna on the left edge of the area after a smooth move, but the latter’s curling shot was well kept by Ortega.

German striker Adeyemi then made an excellent low cross on the trajectory of Youssoufa Moukoko, who let the ball pass before turning to the side.

Teenage striker Moukoko joined Adeyemi again and forced Ortega into another save.

City had 66% of possession in the first half, but never challenged Dortmund goalkeeper Gregor Kobel, with Nathan Ake’s header from Phil Foden’s free-kick just before half-time flying over the crossbar. .

Erling Haaland has little chance of making an impact against his former team and was replaced at half-time by Bernardo Silva, with Manuel Akanji replacing Joao Cancelo.

Dortmund were the first to threaten after the second half when Jude Bellingham failed to connect properly with his shot inside the box before City rejected an opportunity to take the lead after receiving a penalty in the 57th minute .

Mahrez fell under Emre Can’s reckless challenge, but the City winger’s next penalty was comfortably saved by Kobel, much to the delight of the home crowd.

City continued to dominate the ball and began to pose a greater threat as Alvarez’s first volley was well saved by Kobel.

But with enough score to get both teams through, there was little urgency in the final stages with neither team creating additional chances.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *