Harvey Weinstein “victim” tells trial that she felt “guilty and disgusted” for letting the producer into her hotel room

(Getty Images)

A woman who says Harvey Weinstein raped her in 2013 testified on Tuesday that she experienced feelings of guilt and disgust that started right after she let him into her hotel room and lasted for years.

The woman, model and actress who lives and works in Rome and who was in Los Angeles for a film festival, said that the next day she started drinking a lot.

“I was breaking down,” he said. “I felt very guilty. Especially because I opened that door ”.

The woman was the first of eight Weinstein accusers called to testify in a courtroom in Los Angeles, where the 70-year-old film mogul is on trial on multiple counts of rape and sexual assault. Weinstein, who is already serving a 23-year sentence for a sentence in New York, has pleaded not guilty.

Most of the women said their assaults began with what should have been business meetings with Weinstein in hotels. However, the woman who testified on Tuesday said she was stunned to find him knocking on her door late at night in February 2013 after meeting him only briefly the night before at the Los Angeles Italia film festival.

Staying at the hotel under a pseudonym, he said he had no idea how Weinstein knew his room number and that he initially let him in through his door without thinking there was anything wrong. That quickly changed when she Weinstein became sexually aggressive, she said.

The woman, whose first language is Russian, said her English was very poor at the time, although it has improved significantly since then, and she thought she might have miscommunicated.

“I felt guilty for doing or saying something that made him think something might happen between us,” he said.

She said Weinstein forced her to have oral sex on her hotel bed.

“I was a little hysterical while crying,” she said. “I kept saying ‘no, no no.'”

She said she physically feared Weinstein, who outlasted her by 100 pounds or more.

He said he thought he was running, hitting him or biting him.

Deputy District Attorney Paul Thompson asked why he didn’t do this.

“I don’t know,” he replied. “I regret it very much.”

She said that when Weinstein took her to the bathroom to rape her, she stopped physically resisting, although she still verbally objected.

“I would just like to freeze, like my body isn’t listening,” she said.

He said he struggled to deal with his children after the accident and felt the need to confess it to his Russian Orthodox priest. Prosecutors tried to get the priest to testify, but he refused, citing religious privilege. The woman’s daughter, now 21, will testify later.

In his opening statement, Weinstein’s attorney Mark Werksman said many of the counts his client is accused of were actually consensual sex that his accusers rephrased after he became a lightning rod for the #MeToo movement in 2017.

But in the case of the woman who testified on Tuesday, Weinstein’s lawyers deny that the events in her hotel room happened. No records, surveillance video, or other evidence puts Weinstein in the woman’s Mr. C. Beverly Hills hotel the night she claims she was raped.

Weinstein’s attorney Alan Jackson pressed her on this during cross-examination, asking how Weinstein could have known her room number and been allowed to take her, and why she hadn’t complained to hotel staff about “this terrible violation of the protocol “.

She replied, “Because of what happened to me. Because I didn’t want anyone to know.”

Jackson then asked why she stayed in the same hotel for weeks and didn’t even change rooms.

“Did you stay in the same room where you claim to have been attacked and persecuted by a sexual predator?” Jackson asked.

The woman admitted that she did.

She cried occasionally during her testimony, but remained mostly composed, looking down when she was moved to recover.

The day before, she had been sobbing so much in the report of the attack that the court had adjourned a few minutes early.

“I want to apologize for my failure yesterday,” she said when she returned to the stands on Tuesday. “Unfortunately I can’t control it.”

He should be back in the stands on Wednesday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *